Pages

Monday 29 April 2013

Spicerack makeover

My eldest son (Mr. 6) is OBSESSED with Skylanders. I've been hearing about them for months, and luckily the Easter Bunny must have been eavesdropping, because he brought the game and related paraphernalia with the boys' Easter baskets. And there is A LOT of paraphernalia!
Seriously, that is some clever marketing right there; in every other game, you unlock new characters by reaching a certain level or mastering some skill. In Skylanders you have to buy the characters (some are upwards of $25 each) and there are a bazillion of them.
I know there's a bazillion, because they kept taking up residence all over my lounge room floor.

I knew we needed to find a way to store them that pleased both me and the boys (no I was not forking out $50+ for one of their gaudy licensed storage options).
I had it in my mind that a shadowbox would be the perfect solution, not realising that a nice, simple shadow box was as rare as hen's teeth these days!

As luck would have it, the morning after I was a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding, we decided to pop into the local little country market.
And what should I spy as we rounded a corner, but a large wooden spice rack.

I couldn't believe my luck when the seller told me it was $4! I wasn't entirely sure the characters would fit, but for $4 who would turn it down?
It wasn't the most attractive of colours, but I knew with a few coats of paint it could be lovely.

I already had a sample pot of Taubmans "Iceberg", and 24 hours and 2 coats later, it was looking much better!

Mr 3's a fan too!

For $4 and the cost of a sample pot of paint, I think the result is much more appealing than one of the licensed storage options!



1 comment:

  1. Great thinking, Lauren. We only have a few of these so far, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs